Pere Jacques Marquette was a French Jesuit priest who was a missionary to the Ottawa Indians. He died on the shore of Lake Michigan in 1675. On the spot where he died a small settlement sprang up and in his honor it was named Pere Marquette. A small railroad connected Flint Michigan and the lake port town of Pere Marquette. This railroad, incorporated in 1855, was called the Flint & Pere Marquette. Later in 1873, the town of Pere Marquette was incorporated as a city and changed its name to Ludington, Michigan, but the railroad kept the name.